If you’ve lost one or more teeth in St. Clair Shores or Grosse Pointe, it’s important to replace your teeth as soon as you can. Why? Let’s discuss the top reasons to replace missing teeth and your options for tooth replacement at St. Clair Tooth Co.
Why Should I Replace My Missing Teeth?
So, why is it important to replace your missing teeth? There are lots of reasons, but here are the most important ones.
- Restore your appearance & confidence – Losing one or more teeth may cause you to feel embarrassed about how you look, and may also affect your ability to speak clearly, leading to issues with self-esteem and confidence. Replacing your teeth completely eliminates these issues.
- Protect your oral health – After you lose a tooth, the nearby teeth will shift toward the empty socket, which can cause issues with your bite and teeth alignment. The underlying bone will also weaken, which can change your appearance unless you replace the tooth with a dental implant. Because of this, replacing your teeth helps protect your oral health.
- Eat & chew your favorite foods – Tooth loss may impair your ability to eat certain foods, particularly tough, crunchy, or fibrous foods, so you may need to alter your diet. Getting replacement teeth ensures that you can eat and chew your favorite foods without any issues.
Understanding Your Options For Tooth Replacement
There are a few different options for replacing your missing teeth, and the best choice depends on your own unique case. We’ll give you a brief overview of each one now.
- Partial dentures – Partial dentures consist of one or more false teeth, which are held in place with a plastic framework that snaps onto clips that are attached to your healthy teeth. They’re a good option if you’re only missing a few teeth.
- Full dentures – Full dentures replace the upper, lower, or both rows of your teeth using a custom-fitted acrylic base that supports a full set of teeth. They are only appropriate if you have lost most or all of your teeth. This is because any remaining healthy teeth must be removed before you can get full dentures.
- Dental bridges – Dental bridges are made to attach to two healthy “abutment” teeth which are located on either side of the gap in your smile. These crowns support one or more pontics (false teeth) that “bridge” this gap. They’re a good option if you’re missing several teeth in a row.
- Dental implants – Dental implants are small pieces of metal that are surgically placed into your gum and jaw tissue. Over time, they heal and bond with your mouth permanently. Once they heal, they can be used as artificial tooth roots to support replacement teeth. Depending on the situation, a single implant can be used to replace one tooth with a dental crown, or multiple implants can be used for implant-supported bridges or a set of full-mouth implant-supported dentures.
Contact St. Clair Tooth Co. To Learn More About Your Tooth Replacement Options
At St. Clair Tooth Co., Dr. Carly Cassleman can help you explore all of your options for tooth replacement in St. Clair Shores and Grosse Pointe. If you’re missing one or more of your teeth, contact us online or give us a call at (586) 404-4911 to schedule a consultation, and take the first steps toward restoring your smile.